Saturday, July 05, 2008

I'm back! (In Asheville)

Hello, infrequent but welcome visitors to Mlle. Le Renard. I'm back... and ready to attempt blogging. A year later after some pesky doctoral exams, I'm back in Asheville at the Warren Wilson residency where I'm getting ready to write some poems. I had a fabulous time as a fellow at the Kenyon Review workshop where I worked with the fabulous David Baker who taught me all about formal conceits that I either never learned or forgot. This term I'm working with cheerful but intimidating Alan Shapiro.

This morning kicked off with a great lecture on the development of the manuscripts of Seamus Heaney's "North" in the book of the same name. We looked at how he took an image-based poem, told from the first person into an epic poem that include second person address. Wow. I'm full of images of Ireland and these filtered through the room.

I'm working on some biblical mis-interpretation poems right now, perverse Protestant midrash as I think of them. I find the biblical to be more my "mythology" than the Greek or Latin cast of characters. ... we'll see where this goes with Mr. Shapiro.

And now off to the annual Shindig on the Green in Asheville!

No comments: